What is the Real Estate Board of Jamaica?
The Real Estate Board of Jamaica was established to bring order to the conduct of real estate business in the country. The aim was to safeguard the public who use the services of real estate dealers to purchase property or who contract with private land and housing developers for the acquisition of units in housing schemes.
The organization offers a range of benefits and services for its members. The benefits include access to a number of databases, the opportunity to participate in the board's training courses, networking events and more.
The Real Estate Board of Jamaica is also responsible for developing and implementing policies that govern its members.
The Real Estate Board, through the Real Estate Training Institute (RETI), offers the pre-licensing salesman course, popularly known as the real estate course, which applicants must pass to be considered for certification as a real estate salesman in Jamaica. There is a $1,000 application fee which must be paid when applying. Applicants have to be at least 18 years of age, have passes in 4 C.X.C subjects including Mathematics and English and satisfy a final selection interview. The Real Estate course is now done online while the exams are at the training institute over two days.
The full-time course is 4 weeks (108 hours) in duration and covers in its syllabus Real Estate Marketing, Law of Contract and Tort, Land Law, Introduction to Valuations, Introduction to Physical Planning, Principles of Construction Technology, Map Interpretation and Land Registration, The Real Estate (Dealers and Developers Act), Proceeds of Crime Act. Once the applicant has successfully passed the course examination, he/she can then register to become a real estate sales person.
Submission of the following documents to the Real Estate Board (REB) is required for registration. The submission has to be done in person.
- Application form
- Application Fee of J$9,000.00 (Increase fee effective April 01, 2019).
- Submit 3 letters of reference from any of the following:
- Justice of the Peace (JP)
- Minister of Religion
- Medical Practitioner
- Senior Teacher or Principal
- Civil Servant ranked Senior Management Group and above
- Senior Police Officer (rank above Sergeant)
- Bank Manager
- Active Real Estate Dealer (except the dealer to whom the salesman is employed)
- NB. The JP that validates your address cannot simultaneously serve as your referee.
- Copy of TRN
- Police Report
- Bankruptcy Clearance Report receipt (report will be sent directly to REB) Institution: The Supervisor of Insolvency and Government Trustee Location: 52-60 Grenada Crescent, Kingston 5 Fee: $J3,000.00
- 2 passport size photographs certified by an Attorney-at-law, Pastor or Justice of the Peace (for individuals only);
- Proof of address (Utility Bills eg water, electricity, phone, or letter from a JP confirming address)
- Employment letter by the dealer to which he/she will be employed and licenced.
Additional Information: A Licence fee of twenty-two thousand dollars ($22,000.00) is required if application is approved.